Student Storage: Terms and Conditions
Storage Services shall include the pickup, transportation, storage, and delivery of the Customer's possessions. The Customer shall present pre-packed personal goods to HSM at the time of pickup. HSM shall transport these goods to an appropriate storage facility chosen at the sole discretion of HSM. HSm will return the goods to the Customer during dates and times established by HSM by considering school and dormitory schedules. Goods will not be returns prior to the move-in dates established by the JHU Housing department. Customer agrees to be present to receive the goods at the specified delivery date, time, and location.
Access to Goods
The Customer understands access to goods in storage is prohibited prior to the move-in dates specified by the University. If the items must be delivered prior to the specified delivery dates, an additional fee will apply at the discretion of HSM.
It is the sole responsibility of the Customer to furnish proper packing supplies (boxes, tape, packaging material). These materials may be purchased at the Wolman Mail Room. However, HSM does not take responsibility for the availability of these materials. While HSM will use its best efforts, it does not guarantee that adequate supplies will be available to meet the Customer's needs.
The Customer recognizes that HSM will not be held liable for damage to their belongings after delivery has occurred. In the event that the Customer is not present during their scheduled delivery date and time, HSM representatives will leave their belongings outside their room and HSM' liability for the Customer's belongings will cease. If absent during delivery, the signature of the HSM' employee making the delivery will evidence the delivery of the Customer's items in good condition.
The Customer recognizes that only loss or damage caused by the negligence of HSM will be covered by the HSM guarantee. Only physical damage to the exterior of the item will activate any reimbursement claim on the item.
HSM guarantees pickup of storage items and delivery of storage items. HSM will provide the Customer with a scheduled date and time which pickup or delivery will occur. In the event HSM fails to arrive to pickup or deliver the Customer's goods during the specified time window, HSM will issue a credit equal to 10% of the total price of the Customer's order, subject to the conditions below:
- The Customer was present in their residence at the specified date and time.
- In the case of pickup, the Customer has all packages packed, labeled, and prepared for pickup prior to HSM's arrival.
- In the case of the delivery of stored goods, the Customer has correctly labeled each of their packages with their name.
- HSM is notified in writing or by telephone of a service failure within seven calendar days from the date of the scheduled pickup or delivery.
- The guarantee does not apply if the failure to perform within the pickup or delivery window is due to causes beyond HSM's control including, but not limited to, the following: the unavailability or refusal of a person to accept delivery of the stored items; acts of God; public authorities acting with actual or apparent authority on the premises; acts or omissions of police or similar authorities; riots, strikes, or other labor disputes; civil commotions; disruptions in ground transportation networks, such as weather phenomena; and natural disasters.
Commodities Handled and Restrictions on Service
HSM provides storage services subject to a number of restrictions. The Customer accepts full responsibility and liability for any damages or losses that result from the Customer's failure to adhere to these service restrictions. No storage service shall be rendered:
- In the case of articles of unusual value, or of single packages having a value of more than $1,000 (U.S), or of collective packages having a value of more than $6,000 (U.S.) plus $100 (U.S.) per package.
- For items containing valuables such as jewelry & collectibles.
- For hazardous materials and firearms.
- For any items that are prohibited by law or regulations of any federal, state, provincial, or local government in the U.S.
- For the transportation and storage of articles prohibited by HSM's logistics vendors, a complete list of which is available on the HSM Web site.
HSM will not store items containing liquids and/or plants, and the Customer acknowledges that they are liable for any damage their storage contents may inflict on the property of others.
HSM reserves the right to refuse any package which by reason of the dangerous or other character of its contents is liable, in the judgment of HSM, to soil, taint, or otherwise damage other merchandise or equipment, or which is economically or operationally impractical to transport, or which is improperly packed or wrapped. HSM reserves the right to open and inspect any package tendered to it for storage or shipping.
The Customer agrees that the safe packing of items is the sole responsibility of the Customer. HSM will not be held liable for damages caused by improper packing.
Pricing and Payment
The Customer agrees to pay the total cost of the services provided by HSM based on the number and type of items tendered to HSM at the time of pickup, the exact services to be provided, and the prices contained on the HSM web site.
All charges for services are due and payable immediately following the pickup of the Customer's possessions. All accounts must be paid by check, credit card, or money-order at pick-up.
Cash is not accepted on the day of pickup and should not be given to HSM representatives under any circumstance.
The Customer acknowledges that they remain indebted to HSM for any balance owed on their account as a result of invalid check or J-cash transaction, HSM's inability to receive charge authorizations, or for any other reason which prevents HSM from being paid for the services. If the Customer has failed to pay the charges for the services or any additional fees prior to the date of scheduled delivery of stored packages, HSM reserves the right to hold the Customer's possessions until payment has been received in full. The Customer acknowledges that their failure to pay their account in full prior to the delivery date could result in a change in the delivery date and the assessment of additional fees.
Pricing for the services shall be in accordance with the pricing schedule contained on the HSM Web site. In addition, HSM will charge and the Customer will pay the appropriate fees as quoted by HSM representatives at the time of pick-up.
Use of Independent Agents
HSM uses vendors and other agents in performing the services for the Customer. The Customer acknowledges the use of these parties and the fact that the Customer has no contractual relationship with these parties.
HSM automatically protects each HSM storage package against loss or damage up to a value of $100. Unless the Customer purchases additional insurance from an outside source, the Customer agrees that the released value of each package is no greater than $100 and that HSM's liability is limited to $100.
To the extent that the Customer does not obtain insurance coverage for the full value of their personal property stored or shipped with HSM, the Customer hereby agrees to assume all risk of loss, including damage or loss by burglary, fire, vandalism or vermin. HSM and HSM's agents, affiliates, authorized representatives and employees will not be responsible for, and the Customer hereby releases from, any loss, liability, claim, expense, damage to property or injury to persons that could have been insured (including without limitation any loss arising from the active or passive acts, omission or negligence of HSM or its agents, affiliates, authorized representatives and employees).
The basic and additional insurance for stored items provides coverage against damage or loss of the Customer's stored packages. The insurance does not cover:
- Jewelry, coins, and collectables.
- Damage to electronic equipment if there is no evidence of physical damage or breakage to the packaging container.
- Items of intangible value.
- Extremely fragile items (e.g. mirrors).
- Improperly packed items.
- Concealed damage.
- Unpacked items, including furniture that is not wrapped and protected.
- Minor damage due to normal handling (including, but not limited to scratches, nicks, & cuts).
- Any damage caused by force majeure.
- Damage to storage containers (e.g. boxes, trunks, etc.)
- Damages due to natural disasters, and any and all loss or damages occurring while the items are not in the possession of HSM.
- Damages caused to particle board and assembled furniture.
- Damaged items must have evidence of physical damage to the exterior packaging of the item. HSM cannot be held liable for concealed damage to items within a carton, trunk, or other casing without physical damage to the exterior of the package.
The Customer acknowledges that they are liable for any damage their storage contents may inflict on the property of others.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Agreement, HSM's maximum liability for any damage, loss, cost, or expense incurred as a result of any storage by HSM is limited by the terms included in this Agreement. All insurance coverage is expressly limited to the period in which the Customer's possessions are in the actual care and custody of HSM.
The Customer agrees to first claim any loss against any insurance carried by the Customer or the Customer's parents, if available. The Customer will make claims against HSM only after exhausting other areas of coverage.
In the case of damage to stored packages, any damaged cartons must be inspected in the presence of a HSM representative at the time of delivery to confirm damage. All damaged boxes must be opened at the time of delivery, at which time the HSM representative will document the damage. For loss of stored packages, the Customer must notify the HSM representative of the loss at the time of delivery of the other packages and sign the delivery receipt amended for the lost package. The missing items must be noted on the form and signed off by the HSM representative.
Claims for loss of, or damage to, the Customer's property must be filed with HSM by requesting a claims form from HSM. Claims shall be deemed waived if not filed within 10 days following delivery of the damaged package or, in the case of lost items, within 10 days following the scheduled delivery of the missing item. Upon receipt of a completed Claim Form and any required documentation, HSM will process the claim and issue a formal reply to the Customer within 30 days of receipt of the Claim Form and documentation. HSM will pay the lesser of the following claim amounts:
- The cost of reasonably restoring the property to its condition immediately before the move (applies only in the case of damaged items).
- The actual replacement value of the property.
- The amount of insurance on the package, which is:
- $100 if no outside additional insurance was purchased, or
- The lesser of: $1,000 (the maximum single item coverage) or
- The amount of additional insurance the Customer purchased for the item plus the $100 of free insurance.
Without limiting the right of HSM to conclude for other reasons that the Customer will not be returning to school, the Customer agrees that their failure to be present on the scheduled delivery day and their failure to communicate with HSM concerning an alternate delivery arrangement constitutes abandonment of their stored possessions.
Under abandonment of their possessions, the Customer agrees to pay HSM for all charges and fees relating to the failed delivery and further shipping of the possessions to the permanent address provided by the Customer at the time of registration. HSM has the right to assume ownership of the abandoned property on December 30th of the service year.
Except as specifically provided in this Agreement, the Customer waives any claims for damage or loss of any article against HSM and its employees. The Customer expressly releases and holds HSM, and its agents and employees harmless from any and all costs of processing any claim or defending any claim arising from this Agreement. The Customer expressly acknowledges that HSM is not a professional storer, mover or common carrier and waives the right to hold HSM to any laws or standards governing storers, movers or carriers.
This Agreement shall be governed, interpreted, and construed according to the law of the State of Maryland. The Customer agrees that any court action pertaining to this agreement shall be conducted in courts in the State of Maryland.
The Customer acknowledges that there are no representations, warranties, or Agreements by or between the parties which are not fully set forth herein and no representative of HSM or HSM's agents is authorized to make any representations, warranties, or Agreements other than as expressly set forth herein. This Agreement may only be amended by a writing signed by the parties.